Top 4 Garage Maintenance Tips For Houston Heat
While it might be difficult to imagine right now, spring and summer are just around the corner. Now is the ideal time to make sure your garage door is ready to face the Houston heat, before it begins. Your garage door is one of the largest and most important machines in your home, and if you live in Houston it often sits in direct sunlight and heat for more than half the year. Heat can be extremely harmful to garage doors, if your door is not properly checked and maintained. Here are some ways that regular garage door service can keep your garage door operating smoothly and efficiently, even in the Houston heat.
How Summer Can Affect Garage Doors
There are many challenges that garage doors face during the summer months, especially in climates such as Houston’s.
- Heat: All electronics are sensitive to high temperatures; therefore, heat affects the sensors and wiring in garage door motors. Also, when the temperature goes above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, objects begin to expand which can warp the components of your garage door and affect its performance. The moisture in the air from humidity can also impact the functioning of your garage door’s mechanics.
- Sunlight: If your garage door is exposed to direct sunlight, the sunlight can actually “trick” the garage door operators into sensing obstructions that aren’t there. This results in the door not closing correctly.
- Power Outages: Another possible negative effect of warm weather on garage doors is the potential for power surges. Summer electrical storms involving lightning and power outages can harm the electrical function of your garage door. To help prevent harm to your garage door system from power surges, utilize a single-plug surge protector. If your garage door opener does experience a power surge without protection, you should contact a garage door repair service to access the damage and either repair or replace your opening system.
Benefits of Garage Door Service in Heat
To help offset the above dangers, you should have your garage door regular serviced both before and during seasons of high temperatures. Regular maintenance during summer weather will:
- Expand the life expectancy of your garage door
- Keep your garage door properly lubricated with formulations specifically designed to withstand high temperatures
- Catch any potential heat-related problems early, before they deteriorate further
- Maintain your garage door’s optimal performance by making necessary adjustments to better withstand heat and humidity
- Keep your house and garage cooler and more energy efficient. Insulating your garage door is beneficial not just during cold weather, but also in heat. This is especially important if your garage is attached to your house. Keep the Texas heat out, and your valuable air conditioning in, by keeping your garage door thoroughly insulated.
DIY Garage Door Maintenance Tips for Summer
While overall we recommend having your garage door regularly checked by a professional garage door repair service during warm weather, between garage door check-ups there are a few steps you can take yourself to help maintain the ideal performance of your garage door.
- Clean the Garage Door. A simple wash every now and then will remove dirt and grime that builds up over time, especially in humid months. Fill a bucket with hot water and a mild household cleaner and wash the outer garage door surface.
- Inspect the Hardware Regularly. Do a quick visual check for wear and tear that may have occurred since your garage door was last serviced. No need to take anything apart; just scan the exposed parts to see if any hinges or screws look loose, rusted, etc. Also, check to see if the track looks misaligned or if any bolts are missing. Next, use a wrench to tighten exposed bolts. This easy hardware maintenance will keep your garage door opening and closing smoothly, as long as there aren’t more serious problems.
- Keep Parts Lubricated. This is one of the easiest DIY ways to keep your garage door operating efficiently in hot weather. Choose a lubricant designed for heat; ask your garage door service repairman for specific recommendations. Lubricant will keep your garage door from making loud noises while operating. Note: NEVER use grease as a garage door lubricant.
- Check for Weather Damage. This is especially important before and after major storms (Harvey, anyone?). Check for holes in your garage door or gaps between the door and the garage opening. If there are weak points in your garage door, it could be an easy point of entry for water or debris during a major storm. It’s important that you check for these weak points yourself regularly, then have them professionally serviced and repaired as soon as possible.
To guarantee that you get the most life out of your garage door as possible, and keep the Houston summer heat from wearing it down before its time, you should schedule seasonal check-ups with a garage door maintenance professional. Spring and summer are both especially times during which careful garage door service is crucial. Don’t let it wait too long, call us today to schedule your garage door check-up!